Saturday, September 09, 2006

Be my guru

I began my big cross-Canada trip today with an early morning flight all the way from Calgary to Halifax in the far east. My plan is to bus it all the way back to Edmonton and see as much of the country as I can in 1 1/2 months. So I'll try to get to Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Winnipeg. Money will be tight. Roll-on canned tuna and aventure...!

I'm booked tomorrow to attended a one-day workshop here in Halifax presented by the great Sri Sri Ravi Shankar who is the founder of the Art of Living Foundation which is one of the largest non-profit organisations in the world. A previous work supervisor of mine introduced me the organisation and I did a course of theirs in Canberra some time ago. Sri Sri designed an incredible breathing technique that, used in conjunction with meditation, makes you feel so 'on'. The Art of Living began in India and now teaches this breathing technique to millions of people all over the world and is also engaged in all sorts of charitable activities. To be honest, learning that technique is the best thing i've ever done. I've slacked off recently and lost the technique so tomorrow will be a good chance to get back in the zone as well as meet Sri Sri who is one of the real spritual heavyweights of the planet. There was plenty of half-assed gurus around but this guy is the real deal.

So here's the funny part. I was lining up to hop aboard my flight at Calgary airport when I spotted a familar looking figure: an Indian gentleman with long flowing white robes, long dark hair and beard. 'Holy crap, it's Sri Sri', I thought to myself. I more or less stalked the guy through the terminal and during the flight I umed and ahhed about going up to shake the guy's hand. I mean this is about as close to a real genius/saint kinda guy as I'm ever gonna get right? So we get to Halifax and I spot him waiting to pick up his luggage. I finally pluck up the courage to introduce myself; I say hello, shake his hand and blather something about attending tomorrow's course. And he replies 'I'm not Sri Sir, I'm just one of the Canadian instructors. Sri Sri is on the next plane.' 'Oh', I say embarrassingly, 'I guess I'll see you guys tomorrow', and wander off.

I swear he was the splitting image. Oh well, it was kinda funny I guess.

MG

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its all right matty, u white people all look the same to me as well.

Isnt Ravi Shanker the guy who played the sitar with the Beatles? He's that chics father as well. Cant remember her name, but u know the one I'm talking about...

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 12:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home