Friday, May 19, 2006

What's that smell?

In Rotorua today - famous for its natural hot spings and gushing geisers. I spent yesterday in Taupo, a small town one hour away. Taupo sits on the banks of a lake formed in the wake of a massive volcano eons ago. Quiet little place. It's probably packed out in warmer times of the year like the NSW coast.

It was a crappy overcast day yesterday but nonetheless I set out for a days hiking along the shores of the Waikato river (I'll probably be sweating it out in some office soon enough so better soak up as much of this nature as I can, while I can). Saw some awesome waterfalls and I haven't seen water this clear sparkling blue since Rotnest island in WA. Eventually I stumbled on a spot called the Craters of the Moon. It's what they call a geothermal field where superheated water just under the surface causes bursts of steam to shoot through the crusts. Pretty spun-out in a post-apocalyptic sorta way.

I checked out a much larger geothermal field today in Rotoura. Plenty of mudpools and much bigger geisers. A pugent sulpher-like odour follows you everywhere. Got some great pics.

Man this place is touristy. Just gonna hang out this afternoon and buy some provisions. I've been trying to find a gym where ever I stop. I figure I should keep my health and strength up since I'm be hitting the streets looking for work as soon as I get to Vancouver. Better stay away from boozy British backpackers(!)

Saw the film ''Enron" the other night about the collapse of the Enron corporation in the US. I reckon it should be compulsory viewing for all uni grads emerging into the real world. My eyes almost popped out of my head in disbelif in that scene where the CEO creep was lieing through his teeth to the rank and file employees, saying that business was booming, just days before it all came crashing down. And these people aren't actors!

MG

On the Ipod: 'Cyborgs revisited' - Simply Saucer

1 Comments:

Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Yeah what a great doco eh? And what an incredible scandal?!

Good to see you on the blogsphere mate. Hey you know you can upload pics to your posts too!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home