Friday, July 07, 2006

Stampede day #1

So last night was my first shift with gates open. From here on in I'm a 'stock-guy'. I'm responsible for helping to keep the bars stocked with drinks so it'll be lots of running around hauling stock out of the 'refers' and carting it around.

I worked in one of the outside bars last night and it was completely dead after this massive hailstorm blew in. I'd just left the main stadium, carting stock to our bar way on the other side of the complex when the storm hit. I got COMPLETELY SOAKED! The hail pelted on top of my head and I froze. The crowds disappeared and I spent the remainder of the night leaning against the bar, shivering and chatting to the delightful girls working behind the tills.

Tonight I'll be flat out though because I'm in the massive Nashville North bar from now on. It's a mad house. The masses line up for 4 hours to get into this place, and then spend fortunes on overpriced beer (that's good for us because we're all part of the tipping pool). The atmosphere is pretty electric though. There's a stage set up for live bands. Most of what I heard while walking by last night was pretty derivative country & western but my ears pricked up when I heard the 'secret band' start their first number. They were called 'Great Big Sea' and they were from Nova Scotia. They had a rollicking folk/rock/celtic sort of sound. Reminded me of the Pogues actually. They were pretty good.

It's friday morning and I'm off to watch the big opening day parade and find one of the free Stampede breakfasts that are dotted all over town.

MG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home