Friday, June 23, 2006

It's a wrap!

So I was an extra in a Hollywood movie last night! I was leaving work at the Stampede grounds and stumbled across a movie being filmed in one of the indoor stadiums. It's a flick called 'Resurecting the Champ' starring Samuel L Jackson. It's a true story about an LA Times journalist who meets a bum on the street who turns out to be an old boxing champion. I guess it'll be coming out next year.

So I just asked the production agency lady what was going on. She looked me up and down for a few seconds and then offered me an extra's job on the spot! They were filming a boxing match sequence so they had the stadium set up like a Las Vegas fight. I was just part of the crowd cheering along. There's a slim chance my mug may be on film but unlikely. There was a more well-dressed set of extras who sat close to the stage. I was just one of the unwashed masses (literelly with my dirty work jeans and all) and we got wrapped after 5 hours. The rest stayed on for some closer shots. It was a pretty cool experience. The other extras were a mixed bunch. Lots of eager professionals with agents, other desparado-types and some who probably just wanted an easy $9 per hour. Some would have been there for up to 12 hours. The 'stars' for me were the anatomically-impossible bikini-clad blonde who held up the 'round 2' sign and the obese crew member with the oversized t-shirt that read 'eat Krispy Kreme Donuts'!

I may do it again if I get the chance. The production agency' lady approached me afterwards and said I should sign up for some more films. Extras don''t really 'do' anything though. I've often wondered about the craft of acting. I think it's still one of life's great mysteries. Brando, who's the most lauded actor of all time, was ambivilant towards his profession and even called acting 'a bum's life'. I remember this book I read once called 'The Way of the Actor' convinved me otherwise. Apparantly in times past the actor was seen as somewhat of an oracle and highly respected by kings and courtiers. I always fall back on the old 80-20 rule. 80% of actors are probably boring showoffs and the other 20% truely inspired creators. All I know is that movie making can be an incredibly complex artform. There's so many people involved and let's face it, watching a good movie can be a powerfully moving experience. That reminds me, I watched 'Somersault' just before leaving OZ. Now that's definately one brilliant Australian production.

That's a wrap.

MG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home