Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Get shucked

After three lazy days spent at Andy's guest house we drove back to Charlottetown for our last day on PEI. Andy was cool enough to show us around and take us to lunch at his sister's place. We stumbled upon a seafood festival down by the marina which was a lot of fun. It was held in a big tent which was eearily reminiscent of the Nashville North tent where I worked the Calgary Stampede. After paying for entry, the punters wander around, drink beer and enjoy samples of seafood chowder while live bands and fiddle players keep the vibe local with unique east coast atlantic tunes. Unfortunately we missed the judging of the best seafood as well as the 'shucking' competition which is quite chaotic I've been told.

Canada is a festival mad-country during summer. Everywhere I go I see posters for Fringe Festivals, Jazz Festivals, Folk Festivals, Film Festival, BBQ cook-up Festivals, Seafood Festivals...I guess it's because once winter hits, it's just 'stay-the-hell-indoors festival' in most regions (at least it will be for me during winter in Edmonton!). I really think Canadians make the most of the outdoors far more than us Aussies. Yes, Australia is a sport-mad country but most of us lounge about and watch it, not play it. Canadians are running about everywhere. It makes me regretful of summers past back home that I wasted in idle indoors pursuits. Not being a 'sporty guy' ain't no excuse.

From PEI, Mutsumi and I bussed to the adjacent atlantic province of New Brunswick. I'm in the public library of the capital city Fredrickton (abusing the internet privileges and being eyed off by the security lady...). Fredrickton is another small city of about 40,000. It's so peaceful here and the people are incredibly chilled compared to the westerners. I wonder if that Micheal Moore film where he interviewed Canadians who never lock their doors was filmed partly in these parts? It's 'Nice Canada' with a capital N. Even the punks hangin' out on the street politely gave us directions to the hostel and the officer in a patrol car gazed lazily at me, probably thinking, 'do something kid; jaywalk or something; can you swear?'

There hasn't been much to do here besides wander the streets and check out the book stores. The art gallery was a real treat though because they had a couple of huge Salvador Dali paintings.

Mutsumi headed to Quebec this morning and I'm killing time before an 8:00pm bus headed to Montreal. I'll arrive next day 'round 6:00am.

I can't wait for the thrill of Montreal. I'm meeting up with an old friend from Canberra tomorrow and we're going to hang in Montreal a few days before busing to Toronto where he flys out for Europe on the 29th.

MG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home