Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hamilton - Auckland - LA

Last day in NZ. With my limited time i've only been able to see snippets of the North Island. Just arrived in Auckland and I've got half a day to kill before flying to LA. Rotorua was fairly uneventful. I checked out some geothermal action. Played some pool with an English chap who's in a simlar life transition to me - studied law, got bored with the work and now he's travelling around, racking up a nice credit card debt. His dream's to become sports journalist. I hope he finds what he's looking for. Chatted with a lovely German girl too who's going to get into international business when she get's home.

I spent the last couple of nights in Hamilton. Funnily enough the odd guy who ran the backpackers immediately launched into this tirad about how the Nth islander Kiwis are a nasty lot and the Sth islanders are so much better. What a faboulous ambassador! I edged out slowly while asking the obvious question, 'so you dislike your fellow citizens so much and you've chosen to live here how long...?

The couple of nights I spent in Hamilton I shared a dorm room and drank with three guys who work for Greenpeace - a mad German bass player and two kiwis - one a hippy and Jane's Addiction fan and the other an older guy with a kid who usually works 'fixing and selling things'. Last night was a lot of fun. We went on a bit of a bar crawl and ended up at a quiz night where our performance was so ordinary we were actually given two free jugs of beer out of pity for handing up one round of answers that scored a big fat 0 out of 10! My music and Australiana expertise allowed us to save a bit of face on other rounds.

So the Greenpeace guys are onto a good thing. They travel around raising money for the cause. Pay is only a bare subsistence wage but what a great way to see some of the world and be on the side of good while doing it. Who knows, perhaps I could sign up when I arrive in Canada and see a bit of the country that way.

Can't wait to see LA. I've booked a backpackers somewhere in Hollywood. Should be an exciting few days checking out beaches and nightlife.

Big-ups

MG

On the Ipod: 'Forty Licks' - Rolling Stones

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home