Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sonic infusion

Vancouver is a welcome respite to hectic USA. What an awesome place. And it's just about to hit summer as well. I'm staying with my Aunt n Uncle for a couple of weeks until I find a job and a place to live.

This is boom-town!!! The economy is going through the roof and there are jobs everywhere. The adjacent province Alberta here in the west is even more out of control to the point where it's the only place in the country where there are working homeless i.e so many people are going to Calgary to fill countless jobs that there is not enough accomodation for everyone. They still can't get enough workers and they're having expos overseas to entice foreigners. The boom is mainly caused by an expanding energy sector and the oil industry in particular. Workers are making a killing in the oil fields. Just here in Vancouver yesterday I was offered a job on the spot in a travel agent.

So, if any of you Aussies are looking for a working holiday, now is the time to 'go west young man/woman'! I've applied for my social security number so I can officially work as a Canadian. I was thinking of holding off for awhile but it's probably for the best to get the number now to avoid sliding into some murky cash-in-hand work life which would be pretty easy to do. I'm not sure what sort of work to do yet but I'm trying to avoid 9-5 office work.

Canadians are awesome. Here's treatment I wouldn't have gotten in the US: I went into the government office to apply for my social security number. The unusually friendly bureaucrat at the counter said he was terribly sorry that it was going to take 40 minutes to process and would I mind if I had to wait. I felt like he was going to lay prostrate before me and weep at my feet in utter dispair at the pain a 40 minute wait would be! I felt like saying I would have waited in line for 10hrs with no food and drink in the cold and rain to get this little number that's going to let me earn a living in this wonderful city.

Last night I saw the old Seattle band Mudhoney play at a venue in downtown Vancouver. I imagine they pop over the border to play here fairly regularly. They were around before the big grunge explosion of '91 and they're still rocking hard in their signature super-fuzzed out stlye. The classic 'Touch me I'm Sick' had an early run in the set. I can't get the song 'Sonic Infusion' from their last record out of my head. I bought an awesome maroon tour t-shirt.

MG

On the Ipod: Mudhoney, 'March to Fuzz (best of)'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home