Sunday, October 22, 2006

Back in the Great White North

Edmonton, Alberta. I decided to settle here for the next couple of months at least to rest, work again and save some money. Just before I left in September a friend of a friend agreed to hold a room for me here in his share house. It was a stroke of luck considering the almost zero vacancy rate in rentals in this city. It's a great location too on 82nd ave.

I reluctantly left my new friends in Chicago a couple of days ago. I've well and truely had my share of shitty Greyhound trips so I shelled out for a plane right back to Alberta. After a tortourous 4 hour stopover in Vegas I arrived in Calgary at 3am. I stayed over night with my cousin Geri. It was wonderful to see her after the ups and downs of my cross-Canada trip. It did get lonely in parts. Geri, who is trained in special education, was looking after a young girl who is partially autistic. It was fun hanging out with them both.

My arrival yesterday afternoon was not terribly auspicious. After dumping my things in my room I mumbled something about going to Safeway across the road. Sure enough, when I returned, my housemates had departed and the house was locked. So I was left stranded outside, arms ladened with groceries and the temperature plummeting. I discovered a bar across the road, ordered a pizza, read the steet press and nursed a beer for a long time, feeling sorry for my self.

So, I'm anticipating from now until xmas, lots of work (I'll probably pick up two jobs), lots of reading, learn guitar from my housemate and meet new people. I also have this urge to go somewhere really remote out in the snow with a few cool people and just get away from everything. Ice-fishing or something like that. This'll be my first frigid Western Canadian winter and I'm actually looking forward to it.

Here's one interesting thing. My old boss from ACT Health in Canberra is in Canada on a research trip for a Churchill Scholarship. He got in touch and I offered my services as a research assistant. He's keen so I'm looking forward to re-igniting the old brain and working with him when he gets to Edmonton in a week or so.

MG

1 Comments:

Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

That sounds great, good work!

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home