Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Ballet

I wonder if I'm the first guy to ever post a review of a punk gig and then a ballet performance the next post...?

I had the pleasure of accompanying a beautiful woman to a ballet performance of Cinderella at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago a couple of days ago. The performance was by the Joffrey Ballet company and it was first performed in 1948.

I've always been one for stripped-back creativity. The smell-of-an-oily-rag-sort of pursuits like Fringe Theatre and punk rock. There's a rawness to those art forms that appeals to my yearning for authenticity.

However, viewing a world class performance of ballet was truely a mesmerising experience. I was astounded by the complexity of the operation. I can't comprehend how difficult it would be to get that many people to interact on stage without it all falling apart. I probably should know the story of Cinderella but I chose to zone out and let the performance wash over me. It was cool to focus in on one of the performers for awhile and watch intently how they manouvered around the stage as an independant unit, but totally insynch with the web of dancers.

Unfortunately we arrived a little late and we had to watch the first act from a TV in the foyer. I didn't mind because it gave me the chance to explore the magestic theatre where the performance was being held. Our seats ended being way up in the 'nose-bleed' section but that was ok. To be much closer could have set us back up to $130! Ballet for 'the people' I say!

I'm reminded of a old housemate of mine who was a ballet dancer. He had movie star looks, the perfect body, a black sports car, job in IT...He was constantly surrounded by women. He was actually a friendly guy too. Last I heard he'd decided to leave his life in Australia and move to England to become a nurse.

MG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home