Thursday, May 25, 2006

Supersize 'lil Matty

I only spent half a day in Auckland before flying to LA. I read somewhere that Google has listed the most miserable cities in the world according to how often people type in words like 'misery' into the search engine. Apparantly Auckland came in at #1. Not sure why. It seemed ok to me. Not as pleasant as Wellington though. Interestingly Calgary, Canada come in at #2 and that's one of the cities I was thinking of looking for work..!

I've been in LA for a couple of days now. The last time I took an Air New Zealand flight to LA was 1986, almost 20yrs ago to the day. It was Disneyland with the family back then.

LA is monstrous. The traffic is a complete nightmare. The weather is to die for though. Hollywood is just like i'd imagined it to be - completely over the top. Like it or not Hollywood is part of the psyche of us Aussies due to all of it's product we've digested. It's fascinating to stoll around it in real life. I can't really afford to do all the touristy stuff like Universal Studies but this is a good taste nonetheless.

The first night I dived right into the US cultural experience at the hostel with a super great all-you-can eat BBQ cook-up of Homer Simpson-esq proportions. Today I took the bus to Venice Beach and spent the afternoon strolling along just taking it all in. I even punched out a few sets on the bench press at Muscle Beach! I was half expecting Governor Schwarzenegger to pull up in an SUV and say 'move aside you little Aussie girlie-man so I can lift some real weights...'

Not sure what I'll get up to the next couple of days but there are some bands i'd like to check out in the evenings if I get a chance.

MG

1 Comments:

Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Seems a bit odd for both Auckland and Calgary to be considered numbers 1 and 2 in the misery rankings. Can think of heaps of other cities which ought to be ranked higher!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home