Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Hey Ho, Let's Go!

I'm struggling with the flu today in New York and feel totally rotten. Perhaps my body's strugglng being back on the Nth American diet of burgers and fizzy drinks. Well the old Beat writers of the East Villiage used to force themselves to battle on through all manner of hangover and associated malladies so onward!

Ok, England isn't so bad I guess, at least now while the weather is mild. In my last couple of days I took a bus to Oxford (hey Aldous Huxley studied there!) and then to Cambridge and back to London. I found Oxford underwhelming for some reason but I really did enjoy wandering through the cobble streets of Cambridge. Back in London I hung out with some actors from LA who were on their way to Germany to perform in some big theatre event. They're cool people and I'm going to keep in touch. The markets of Campden town were fanstastic. After all the conspicuous wealth of the city is was great to wander around with the people. Next time I'd like to get out into the suburbs more and experience the rich multicultural community.

Oh yeah, surely London has the most beautiful women in the world!

I've been in New York for a couple of days now. I know this trip is not overly exotic - i'm not hacking my way with a machette though the Amazon or racking up debts in an oriental opium den(!) - but it's just great to experience these big major world centres and absorb what the collective world mind is on about in '06. Besides, New York is in some ways the centre of the western world. That really came through in the cruise up the river that I did yesterday. The guide rattled off some really impressive stats - this place truely is the most rich cultural melting on the globe. The tour guide was a real enthusiast. I generally assume a lot of these guys are secret misanthropes who would take great pleasure in tearing off the finger nails of their customers, but this guy was switched on and friendly.

So i got to meet up with my little brother Andrew yesterday! He's in America for a work thing (he's the smart, successful one!) so he swung by NY to hang out with me. We went pretty hard yesterday - climbed the Empire State building, took in ground zero, and checked out Wall Street (I worked on my best disaffected angry young man look for a photo out the front of the NY Stock. Exchange!). The evening was fantastic - we went to a Yankees baseball game at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx! We loaded up on hotdogs, beer and pretzels and soaked up the electric atmosphere. The local supporters were intense and took great pleasure in humilating the hapless Boston fans whose team was wiped out by the local big hitters.

Can't wait to check out the bohemian East villiage tomorrow. Still plenty to see in Manhattan so a week will be well spent here. Might go across the harbour to Hoboken, NJ as well.

MG

On the Ipod: Ramones, 'Leave home' (what a 'New York' album!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home