Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Mother country ain't mothering me

London town. Been here for 2 days now. It was quite a shock to the system after sunny, friendly LA. I'm just not a fan I've gotta say. I'm staying right in Piccadilly. All the cliches are true - too many people, waaaaay expensive, overcast...I'm subsisting on a diet of almonds and beef jerky. Sure it's a blast to be around all this history but i've gotten over it quite quickly. Glad I didn't set off for London to work after finishing uni like so many of us seem to do. I think this place would have eaten me alive.

My first night here was amazing though. I was winding my way through SOHO aimlessly and stumbled across this interesting looking club. On closer inspection I realised that the seminal aussie band The Church were playing there! I couldn't believe my luck. The gig was a stripped back acoustic one. Steve Kilbey is a bonda fide genius songwriter. He's channelling some serious spirits or something through his tunes and dreamy lyrics. 25yrs strong as a band after starting in little old Canberra!

I feel pretty tired today after a night out in SOHO with a couple of guys I met at the hostel - one a young record producer from Melbourne and the other an American who's moving to LA to do film making at graduate school. He's got a job working for a beer company and they're paying him ridiculous amounts of $$. Cool guy. I hope LA and the movies doesn't steal his soul.

I'm catching a late bus to Oxford tonight. Can't wait to get out of the city and see a bit of the countryside.

MG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home